LET'S TALK ABOUT SPORTS
Who we are
What are sports?
According to the Global Association of International Sports Federations, a sport is any activity that meets the following specifications:
- Includes elements of competition
- Does not rely on luck
- Should not pose undue risk to the safety and health of the participants
- Should not be harmful to a living creature
- Should not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier
In that case, activity is categorized as a sport if it involves:
- Competition between two or more participants or teams
- Rules of play used to determine the winner
- The primary goal of victory
- Victory is determined by the relative physical ability of the participants, strategy and chance.
In a nutshell, a sport is a form of competitive physical activity, which through casual or organized participation aims to use, maintain, or improve physical ability or skills while entertaining participants and, in some cases, the audience.
History of sports
Most sports played today developed into their current form in the 19th and 20th centuries. For instance, the documented history of sports dates back to more than 3000 years. During the early days, sports involved war preparations or training for hunting. This included throwing spears, stakes, and rocks.
The first recorded ancient Olympic Games were held in 760 BC, with footrace as the only event. Later on, games became broader to include wrestling, boxing, equestrian, discus, javelin, and jumping.
It is worth noting that every sports discipline has its history.
Most popular sports in the world
The world loves sports because of the power it has to bring people together. But the sports we love are not the same. For instance, most Americas love Football and Basketball while European prefer soccer.
Here is a list of the ten most popular sports in the world.